Sunday, August 15, 2010

Today is the day

Today is the day that moving and starting a new life becomes real.  Until today it just felt like we were on vacation.  Last night as we began to load the cars, the permanence of the situation settled in and I have to admit I'm a bit nervous and excited about the move.  The idea of a new adventure in meeting people, finding your way around town, and for me, finding a new job is exciting.  Sort of reinventing ourselves in a way.  I think the biggest concern I have is getting things started for Samantha.  To her, it feels like we are on vacation and I don't think she really understands what 'moving' means.  We talk about going to our new home, how exciting her new room will be, and the fact that there will be TWO full bathrooms and one of them is hers (and for guests).  She says she is excited and just when you think she starts to understand she asks when we are going to our other home.  "Which home?" I ask.  "The other one." she says.  "The one in Illinois?" I ask.  "No, the one at Fort Unroe." she says. So, I'm sure there will be many more conversations about where 'home' is.
Finger paints with Grandma


Andy starts new faculty orientation tomorrow and our stuff arrives on Tuesday (sometime).  Cable/internet/phone will be hooked up on Wednesday so we will be out of touch (except what we can get to on our phones) starting today around noon.  I will update as soon as possible!
Messy shaving cream art!

3 comments:

  1. I'm ready for you to come back to your home in Fort Unroe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw safe travels! Erin said today that she still misses Samantha. We have your letter hanging on the fridge, and the kids frequently stop to admire the treasures. We will get a letter off to you soon, now that we know you will be there. :) Janel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Andy's orientation went well and that your stuff gets there today!

    ReplyDelete